Blog has moved, searching new blog...

Friday, February 25, 2011

Recipes And Updates

I seldom cease to be amazed how some people never eat vegetables and don't even recognize them when they hold them in their hand.  Just the other day I was at the grocery and my check out girl exclaimed, "Oh, this zucchini feels weird!  I've never held one before."  I can't imagine the look on my face.  What kind of society do we live in when common vegetables are as alien to people as little green men from Mars?  Please don't let your children grow up in ignorance and don't be a prude yourself about trying new things.  With that said, here is a carrot recipe that has few ingredients but is big on taste.

Chili Carrots
4 medium carrots, peeled and sliced in one inch pieces
1 Tbsp. olive oil
1 Tbsp. honey
1/2 to 1 tsp. chili powder
In a medium sized pot, cook carrots in boiling water for 8 minutes or until just tender.  Drain and return to pot.  Add remaining ingredients and cook and stir till carrots are glazed, about 2 minutes.  Season to taste with salt and pepper.  I added a bit more chili powder myself.

Next week, I have an unusual new recipe I created that my family really enjoyed and it used BEEF!  For once, the beef was flavorful and tender, not the usual shoe leather I turn out when I cook beef.

In an earlier February post titled "Flu Shot Or Not", I told what has been happening with my brother in law Hugh.  I thought I should update everyone.  The news is not good.  It has now been three weeks since Hugh was admitted to the hospital and he has been in ICU the entire time.  Last Friday, he had improved enough for doctors to put in a feeding tube and perform a tracheotomy so he could be awake more and start to sit up.  (If you are on a ventilator, you are sedated most of the time and you can not talk.  A trach is a transition to weaning off oxygen support.)

Then on Monday night, Hugh developed a GI bleed which caused his blood pressure to drop dangerously low and his body to go into shock.  He suffered renal and liver failure.  Miraculously, Hugh has survived after a great deal of blood pressure medicine and more than 6 units of blood.  This has been a major setback.  Please keep Hugh and his family in your thoughts this weekend.  Never take for granted your own good health; take care of yourself as best you can.

1 comment:

  1. my family enjoys veggies I've put in the freezer all winter long! Crystal

    ReplyDelete