Blog has moved, searching new blog...

Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Big News

I am happy to announce that my blog will now appear Wednesdays on jonesboro.com, a new website developed by Occasions Magazine with all kinds of information about Jonesboro, Ar.  I am happy to bring my blog to new readers and hope they will find some useful information.  Jonesboro.com has local events, movie listings, business information, etc.  Just about anything you would want to know about Jonesboro can be found on this site.  I hope you will check it out.

The Super Bowl is this weekend and I know many of you are planning to host a party or go to one.  We are planning to have a small gathering this year so I'm thinking of food to serve.  I love party food!  I love cheese dip and chips, margaritas or martinis, pigs in a blanket, cookies, brownies and more!  However, I realize I can't just eat all I want of every bad food there is.  Choices will have to be made but that doesn't mean you can't eat well and sensibly at the same time.

I will have a fruit tray.  Fruit gives you that nice sweet taste but some fiber and vitamins too.  I must have a Mexican Layered Dip.  It is one of my favorite things and yes, I will eat it with chips but it has beans for fiber, tomatoes, avocados and onions for antioxidants and more vitamins.  This dip does have sour cream but I will use the low fat kind at least.  I haven't made up my mind about wings yet.  I don't have a tried and true recipe for wings and I've only made some once which were OK but not worth a repeat.  If I do make wings, they will be cooked in the oven, not fried and will be coated in picante sauce and honey, a new recipe I'm contemplating.  I may make stuffed mushrooms, empanadas or brushetta.  So many possibilities.  By Thursday, I will have made up my mind so I will publish the rest of the party menu.

Here are some tips for not eating the whole hog at your Super Bowl party.
1.  Fill your plate only once, no seconds and try not to heap food so it's falling off the plate.
2.  Choose things like fresh fruit, salsas, raw veggies or chili.
3.  Avoid too much cheese dip or other dips made with cheese and mayo.
4.  Have one dessert not a sampler platter.  Eat two or three cookies or a brownie.
5.  Watch the game and stay away from the area where the food is served.
6. Limit the alcohol intake to no more than two reasonably sized drinks as much for your waistline as for your ability to drive home safely.
7.  Have only one soda then switch to water.  Same for the alcohol.

Eat a decent, light lunch with plenty of fiber before the party.  If you are not starving before you get to the party, you won't be as likely to eat out of control.  Take a nice long walk or go to the gym for a pregame workout too.

An update on our weekly dinner menus.  Last Thursday I posted our dinner for Saturday as sloppy joes with broccoli.  Since both of our kids were not home for dinner due to a change in plans, Barry and I ate out at a Mexican restaurant.  We had the sloppy joes dinner last night.  Part of this week's menu follows.
Tuesday - Cranberry Chicken, rice and sauteed sugar snap peas.
Wednesday - Creamy tacos and a green salad.

No comments:

Post a Comment