Blog has moved, searching new blog...

Tuesday, October 18, 2011

Planning Ahead

This is such a busy time of year with all the band competitions, football games and swim meets we attend.  I always want my family to eat home cooked food so I was happy to find another super easy yet good crock pot recipe this weekend.  I also want to encourage my readers to make extra and freeze for those busy days when it will be impossible to cook.  Make a big pot of soup, chili or spaghetti so you can freeze the extra portion.  I will be making my beef vegetable soup later this week which is more than enough for several meals.  I also want to encourage you to plan ahead for the Thanksgiving and Christmas holidays.  If you are having a bunch of people at your house this year, make your life easier by cooking now and freezing food so you can enjoy your holiday too.  You can even freeze baked goods like cookies and muffins.  You'll be glad you did your prep work early!

Back to my new recipe.  Five ingredients and a crockpot.  Dump it all in and forget about it.  How much better can it get?  Oh yes, it tasted good too.  Leftovers were good the next day.  Cleanup was a breeze.  It was almost like eating fast food but way, way better.  So here it is.

Herbed Beef Sandwiches
3 to 4 lb. beef chuck roast, trimmed
3 Tbsp. chopped fresh basil or 1 Tbsp. dried
3 Tbsp. chopped fresh oregano or 1 Tbsp. dried
1 1/2 cups water
1 envelope onion soup mix
your favorite sandwich rolls
Place roast in a slow cooker that has been sprayed with cooking spray.  Combine remaining ingredients in a measuring cup.  Pour over roast.  Cook on high one hour, then on low 5 or 6 or cook on low 8 hours while you are at work.  Before serving, shred meat with 2 forks and serve on rolls.

Because we all like onions, I sliced a couple of onions and browned then in olive oil and put them on the sandwich too.   A nice white cheese like Harvarti or Provolone would be good too if you like.  These sandwiches are kind of juicy and sloppy but it was a nice change from pot roast.  I also like that you don't brown the meat first which makes it faster and less messy to make.

Still haven't worked out the problem with the photos.  I need a home computer nerd to come help but mine seem to be busy all the time.      

No comments:

Post a Comment