Blog has moved, searching new blog...

Friday, October 21, 2011

Fit2Fat2Fit, A Blog You Should Check Out

I read a lot and watch the TV news so I can stay informed on any health news whether it is a new medicine, the latest exercise craze or people who make a difference.  Today on Good Morning America, there was a feature on a personal trainer who is trying to make a difference.  After years of listening to his clients complain that he just didn't understand how hard it is to deal with food cravings and to lose weight, Drew Manning decided to walk in their shoes.  Literally.  So he embarked on a 6 month reverse diet.  He's been eating the typical American diet; whatever he wants, whenever he wants, consequences be damned.  Exercise has gone out the window.  After the 6 months, he plans to get fit again, all in an effort to reach people and show it can be done.  So far, his weight has blossomed from 193 to an alarming 263 and his waist line has dramatically bloomed as well.  I will be following his blog, especially when he starts the fitness phase, to see how he progresses and the lessons he learns.  If you need some inspiration in your life, you may want to check out his blog as well.

Also today I want to thank my friend Kara for sharing a wonderful new recipe with me, Baked Oatmeal.  I admire Kara because she will spend a day now and then, cooking, baking and freezing so her family can still eat homemade, healthier food on those busy days.  I whipped this recipe together last night, put it in the fridge, then baked it this morning.  I think if you didn't tell your family it has oatmeal in it, they probably won't know.  Just tell them it's a breakfast cake, or coffee cake.  I think next time I will try some raisins or nuts in it or add a bit of flax seed.  I'm sneaky like that.  The peanut butter version would probably be good with chunks of banana as well.  Make a batch this weekend; I know you will like it.

Pumpkin Baked Oatmeal
3 cups quick  cooking oats
1/2 cup brown sugar
1 cup milk
3/4 tsp. salt
3/4 tsp. cinnamon
2 tsp. baking powder
2 tsp. vanilla
2 Tbsp. butter, melted
2 eggs
3/4 cup canned pumpkin
Mix all ingredients and spread in a 9x13 pan that has been lightly greased.  Spread an additional 1/4 cup brown sugar over the top.  Bake at 350 for 20 to 30 minutes until a knife inserted in the middle comes out clean.  Bake less time if you prefer it to be more moist.  Serve warm with a bit of cream or Pet milk poured over the top.  This keeps well in the refrigerator if it lasts that long.

The peanut butter version is the same but substitute 1/2 cup peanut butter for the pumpkin.  My son did fuss about having oatmeal last night when he saw what I was making.  However, he grudgingly said it was OK this morning and ate every bite.  

No comments:

Post a Comment