Blog has moved, searching new blog...

Tuesday, August 2, 2011

Some Real Food To Eat

I hope you enjoyed my reminiscing last time.  Maybe it reminded you of what your parents or even grandparents cooked for you.  Last night, I made a recipe I haven't used in awhile and was reminded how good it is.  While it requires a good bit of chopping, nothing is hard and it goes together fast.  The flavors are a nice blend of ginger, hoisin sauce and garlic.  Try this recipe on these hot summer nights when nothing sounds good.

Ginger and Garlic Asian Lettuce Wraps
1/2 cup finely chopped carrots
1/2 cup water
1 lb ground turkey
1 cup sliced shitake or button mushrooms
1 8 oz can water chestnuts, drained and chopped
3 garlic cloves, minced
2 Tbsp. minced fresh ginger
1/3 cup teriyaki sauce
1 Tbsp. creamy peanut butter
1 Tbsp. sesame oil
1 Tbsp. rice wine vinegar
1/4 cup hoisin sauce
1/2 cup sliced green onions
1 head iceberg lettuce, separated into leaves
Cook carrots and 1/2 cup water in microwave, covered, about 2 minutes.  Heat a large skillet over medium heat and cook turkey, stirring till brown and crumbled.  Drain turkey and add carrots and mushrooms and next 8 ingredients.  Increase heat a bit and stirring occasionally, cook 4 minutes.  Add green onions and mix well.  Serve mixture into lettuce wraps, roll up and eat.  Don't worry if you are missing an ingredient.  I left out the sesame oil and it was fine.

This is fun to eat and my kids have always liked it.  Last night for a side dish, I stir fried sugar snap peas and sliced carrots in some olive oil.  When nearly done, I added some garlic, cooked 2 minutes more and seasoned to taste with salt and pepper.

I always have a hard time separating the lettuce leaves without tearing them to shreds.  If you have a fool proof way to do this, please share.  I cut the bottom around the core and gently work the leaves free.

No comments:

Post a Comment