Blog has moved, searching new blog...

Tuesday, April 26, 2011

Top Four Tips For Better Dieting

We've all been getting plenty of exercise lately - running to the storm shelter.  Seems like every other day brings not April showers but severe thunderstorms capable of producing large hail and tornadoes.  By the sound of thunder and the look of the clouds, we will be running again later tonight.

But I'm not here to give weather reports.  I'm here to report on some things I've learned from the 17 Day Diet book.  If you are a regular reader, you know I've been following the 17 Day Diet plan half way.  I eat the recommended breakfast and lunch but with dinner I'm more lenient.  After all, my kids don't need to diet.  Because I love to do lists, here are the top four things I've learned.

1.  Eating protein at breakfast really does keep me full till lunch time.  I love my carbs and love cereal for breakfast and snacks but I admit that I am usually starving well before lunch.  Therefore I am eating less by having protein and haven't had the urge to rush to the kitchen and grab whatever I can stuff in my mouth.  Breakfast is usually two eggs and some fruit or sometimes a Greek yogurt parfait with fruit and a bit of granola.

2.  A salad made with dark green lettuces, raw vegetables like cucumbers, carrots, broccoli or chopped fruit, nuts, craisins AND some lean protein like canned salmon or chicken and a wee bit of dressing also keeps me full till dinner.  I now eat salad for lunch several days a week.

3.  A smoothie with lunch also helps keep me full.  I use Greek yogurt, canned pumpkin and banana or peaches, banana and buttermilk.  (See my past recipes.)  I have also added a spoonful of flax seed and lots of cinnamon.  My smoothies contain no added sugar and are only about 6 ounces.

4.  Eating more vegetables at dinner helps keep me from snacking later.  I have really tried to have larger servings of vegetables at dinner.  I have found that I am less likely to be nosing around the kitchen later.

I must add that I am not a dieter usually but I try to eat healthy, balanced meals most of the time.  However, I have liked the changes that I've made and plan to keep them up.  You should check this book out even if you don't need to loose weight.  After all, we all need to eat better.  Now I must go check the weather and get my running shoes on.

No comments:

Post a Comment