Blog has moved, searching new blog...

Tuesday, April 19, 2011

Chocolate Bunnies Lurking In Your Future

Easter is coming and like every other holiday, it has turned into a time to feast.  Children awake to baskets of chocolate bunnies, cream filled eggs and marshmallow chickies.  Adults indulge in more grown up delights though we also check out the basket when the kids are asleep.  To keep the sugar and calories down a bit, fill your children's basket with items like bubbles, books, movies or small toys like matchbox cars.  If you still do a basket for your teens, give gift cards to their favorite places to eat, the mall or movie passes.  Gas cards would be really appreciated now.

My house will be filled with relatives this Easter and I will need to feed them.  The key as usual is to try to be moderate.  I've been back and forth over what to feed everyone, desiring to have some luscious, fattening foods while struggling with my health oriented conscience.  There will be 16 or more people here on Saturday and I'm hoping we can have a barbecue and the weather will cooperate.  Watching the weather report doesn't give me much hope though.

So my menu for the weekend keeps changing but for Easter Sunday we will have ham with Jezebel sauce, deviled eggs, fresh asparagus, and caramelized carrots.  We are actually going to have two desserts - coconut cream pie and lemon meringue.  Saturday, we will have smoked chicken or pork barbecue sandwiches, slaw, fruit salad and macaroni and cheese.  I'm going to serve lemon cupcakes, I think.  Here is the recipe for Jezebel sauce for those who've never had it.  It is a great accompaniment to ham.

Jezebel Sauce
12 oz. pineapple preserves
12 oz. apricot preserves
3 Tbsp. dry mustard
6 Tbsp. horseradish
Mix all ingredients well and refrigerate.  Serve with ham or spread over cream cheese for an appetizer.  Keeps several days.

I am also struggling with another back injury, this time muscular, which does seem to be healing pretty fast.  It has prevented me from exercising since last Thursday and I can only ease back into it now.  Exercising has always been one of my strategies for coping with extra calorie consumption.  If it rains all week like Mr. Vaughn is predicting, I may have to walk the mall.  As usual, I am trying to watch my calorie consumption this week and keep it low.

Check back Thursday to see how the Easter prep is going.  

No comments:

Post a Comment