Blog has moved, searching new blog...

Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Eat Your Veggies

I had a conversation with a friend this morning about how hard it is to eat enough vegetables every day.  That is why I promote just trying to get in three servings a day to start with, not the 5 to 7 promoted by the government's plan.  I agree that it is easier to eat meat and easy carbs like potatoes, rice or pasta.  As a society, we've gotten away from eating so many fruits and vegetables like cabbage, Brussels sprouts or beets.  Since the canned or frozen varieties are often tasteless, we've forgotten how good these vegetables can be when well prepared.

If you are ambitious and have a green thumb, grow your own vegetables and experiment with something new.  Getting your kids involved in the garden can also tempt them to try what they grew.  Those of us with shady yards will go to the farmer's market or grocery.  Try adding vegetables to pasta or rice for a new twist.

The typical cookbook has few every day recipes for vegetables.  They are usually filled with recipes we'd use only on holidays or too many potato and rice dishes.  I usually stick to steamed or stir fried vegetables.  (I use olive oil to stir fry all vegetables.)  A nice green salad with plenty of raw veggies is a great way to get two or three servings of vegetables in.

Easter is just around the corner so I thought I'd share one of my easy carrot recipes.  It's a nice spring dish and goes well with ham but it is quick enough to prepare any night.  You can also adjust the number of servings by adding more carrots.

Pepper Jelly Glazed Carrots
1 2lb. package of baby carrots
1 can chicken broth
2 Tbsp. butter
1 10 oz. jar red pepper jelly
Bring broth to a boil over medium high heat in a large pot.  Add carrots and cook, 6 to 8 minutes or until carrots are just tender.  Drain broth, saving 1/4 cup.  Return carrots and broth to pan, add butter and jelly.  Cook and stir till mixture is thickened and carrots are glazed.  (I seldom use the whole jar of jelly.)

I challenge you to go out this week and try a new recipe or a vegetable you've never eaten.  You could even try a vegetarian dish if you are feeling brave.  Don't forget that Jamie Oliver is back on TV tonight.

Note:  I have been updating my recipe index so you can find those recipes you want to try!
  

No comments:

Post a Comment