Blog has moved, searching new blog...

Tuesday, July 27, 2010

Know What You Are Eating - Eat Real Food

I had my husband pick up some food from Chick-fil-A recently to support a favorite charity that was having a fundraising event there.  Chick-fil-A is a great community supporter and I applaud their policies like not being open on Sunday.  However, it is still fast food and I really don't like the food.  My daughter, who is alot like me and tries to make healthy food choices, picked up the honey mustard sauce that came with our meal and started reading the ingredient list.  While the list of ingredients did include honey, no where did it mention mustard unless the natural flavor is really mustard.  The list also included things like xanthan gum and oleoresin tumeric.  I was intrigued.  How can it be honey mustard without the mustard?  The point is: Know what you are eating. 

If you can't recognize the ingredients listed on a package, you really shouldn't eat it as part of your regular, everyday diet.  Look for prepared foods that have the fewest ingredients.  If all the preservatives in food preserved me as well, giving me a long shelf life and keeping me looking like I did in my twenties, I'd eat a truck load of it.  Our diet consists of food that has been picked or plucked from the garden or water and still looks like it did in the field and stream.  We do eat bread, crackers, granola bars, cereal, etc. but we try to keep that to a minimum. 

Yes, it is work to shop for and prepare food, then clean up the mess.  But isn't your family worth it?  Don't you want to safeguard your health?  You don't want to spend time in the hospital do you?  Don't forget - everyone can and should pitch in and help with meals.  One person doesn't have to do it all.  Last week, my kids made spaghetti and meatballs, all from scratch.  They had fun doing it and it was delicious.  This week, they are making pork chops with pineapple salsa and roasted carrots.  I enjoyed the break from the kitchen.  So turn the kids loose in the kitchen.  They are probably bored and looking for something to do this summer. 

Go to the local farmers market and pick out some fresh vegetables.  Don't tell me the kids (or you) don't like vegetables.  That means you've never had them cooked well.  Start with some corn on the cob.  That cooks in about 3 minutes in boiling water and everyone likes corn.  Get some cucumbers and tomatoes and put them in a salad.  Grill some chicken and you are done.  Just please put down the Pringles (which aren't real potato chips, read the label) and pass up the twinkies.  Grab some real food.         

No comments:

Post a Comment