Blog has moved, searching new blog...

Thursday, September 17, 2009

Veggie Tales

If you have children of the right age, I'm sure you've heard of Veggie Tales, the cartoons with a moral twist. My veggie tales are a little different but hopefully, you and your kids will appreciate them.
Of course you know you should eat your vegetables; Mom always said so. She was right. So many important nutrients and our friend, fiber, are found in vegetables. Eating vegetables helps control weight and fights many diseases like cancer. I'm always amazed when I'm checking out and the checker has to ask me, "What is this?", holding up a turnip or squash. Sometimes I serve vegetable meals because they are fast and I love them so.
The problem with vegetables is that they are seldom well prepared so no wonder no one likes them. Take the time to try different recipes to find ones you really like. I have even been known to serve raw vegetables for snacks and dinner. What could be easier? Add a few raw carrots or grape tomatoes to your plate. You don't even have to have ranch dip.
Here are a few of my favorite, easy vegetable recipes.

Carrots Moore
1 lb carrots peeled and sliced thin (I use baby carrots because they are already peeled)
1 small onion, chopped
4 TBsp. butter
Place carrots and onion in an oven proof dish. Add 1/2 TBsp. parsley, 1 tsp. salt, 1/2 tsp. thyme and 1/2 tsp. pepper. Stir to mix well. Dot with butter. Bake at 375 for one hour or until carrots are tender.

Asparagus with Feta Cheese
1 package fresh asparagus
4 oz. crumbled feta cheese
1/4 tsp. pepper
Boil asparagus till just tender. Drain well. Sprinkle with feta and pepper.

Yellow Squash
Slice several small yellow squash and place in a microwavable bowl. Add 1 TBsp. water and microwave 3 to 5 minutes until just tender. Drain well. Add 1 TBsp. Brummel and Brown yogurt spread or your favorite butter substitute, 1/2 tsp. salt and pepper to taste.

I will post more vegetable recipes later but do look for others. Vegetables can be a fast and tasty addition to your meals.