Blog has moved, searching new blog...

Thursday, September 10, 2009

New Convenience Foods Worth Mentioning

From time to time, I will mention convenience foods I use because of their nutritional value, cost and ease of use. I have two new products to recommend this week. I recently picked up two bags of Contessa Sesame Chicken at $8.59 each to try and was very pleased. Dinner was ready in about 15 minutes - great for those hurried nights and everyone agreed it was good. The meal is complete with rice and several vegetables in addition to the chicken. Best of all, there are 260 calories in a 1 1/2 cup serving, 4 grams of fat, 4 grams of fiber and 14 grams of protein. My only criticism is that is has almost 1/3 of your daily requirement of sodium but you could cut back on the sauce and reduce the sodium. One bag is enough for two. I thought the cost was comparable to taking the four of us to a fast food restaurant but a much more healthy choice.

My sister is lactose intolerant so when I read about an ice cream made with coconut milk, my ears pricked up. Turtle Mountain offers Purely Decadent, a non-dairy frozen dessert that is also soy free. It is made with coconut milk and while not fat free by any means, it does have 6 grams of fiber and 10% of your daily requirement of iron. Regular ice cream has neither fiber nor iron. I bought some to test and my family agreed it was very good. Similar to ice cream in consistency and taste, it does have a coconut aftertaste. Give it a try if you are lactose intolerant and missing your ice cream.

Yes, I did just recommend a fat filled treat. As long as we exercise and eat right most of the time, treats are fine.