These are a few things I believe in doing as often as possible for good health - every day if you can.
1. Smile and laugh with your friends and family. Having a good social life and a positive outlook on life will actually help you be healthier!
2. Exercise! You knew this one would be on the list, didn't you? Try to squeeze in exercise where ever you can - use the stairs, park further away from the store entrance, walk on your lunch break. Just do it!
3. Eat your fruits and veggies. Come on, have you eaten a fruit or vegetable today? It's so easy to eat an apple, banana or even a handful of carrot sticks at lunch.
4. Get enough sleep. Americans tend to be chronically tired from not getting enough sleep. It does have an effect on your health plus you won't be as productive at work.
5. Drink plenty of fluids such as water or tea. Skip the soda but stay well hydrated. You will have more energy, fewer headaches, better looking skin and less trouble with constipation.
6. Take good care of your teeth. Studies have shown a link between heart disease and tooth decay or gum disease. Bad teeth can also contribute to an overall weakened immune system.
7. Enjoy your pets. Studies show that people have lower blood pressure when interacting with animals. That means time spent with your pet can reduce your level of stress, a win/win situation for everyone.
8. Stimulate your mind with new challenges. You don't have to go back to school, just do the sudoku puzzle in the paper, listen to different music or read something you ordinarily wouldn't. Your brain needs exercise too in order to perform well.
9. Keep track of your weight, cholesterol and blood pressure. Of course, you won't check all of these every day but you should know what your statistics are so you will be aware of any changes that needs to be addressed.
10. Stretch. I believe it is just as important to stretch your body every day as it is to exercise. Stretching keeps your body from getting stiff and your joints from locking up as you get older. Use a yoga tape or take a class to learn how to stretch properly.
I hope you will think about these ideas and I really hope you are already doing most, if not all, of them.