Blog has moved, searching new blog...

Friday, September 24, 2010

Friday Night Fast Food

Just like many parents, I have a busy Friday night.  I have one child who will swim till 6 and one who must be at the band room at 5:30 before the ballgame.  My husband and I need to be at the game later to help with band uniforms.  We all need to eat and you know by now that we will not be eating fast food.

I make my own fast food at home that is so much better.  This recipe I'm about to share is so easy my husband could make it.  Check out Eat This, Not That for some recommendations for store bought chili to use.  If you make a big batch of chili and freeze some, you could have your own chili to use in this dish.  This is a great comfort food dish for those cold nights that I'm sure are coming soon, despite the unseasonable, 90 degree temps we've been having. 

I will make this dish and pop my son's in the oven early so he can eat, then cook the rest so we can eat after swim practice but before going to the game.  I plan to serve fresh fruit with it.

Cheesy Hash Brown Chili Bake
4 cups of chili
1 16 oz. bag of shredded hash browns
1 cup of cheddar cheese or your favorite
1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro or 1 tsp. dry
Salt and pepper to taste.  You may not need salt depending on the salt content of the chili.
Heat oven to 425.  Grease 4 oven safe individual ramekins.  Divide the chili among the dishes.  Thaw hash browns and blot with a paper towel to absorb any excess moisture.  Mix hash browns with cheese and cilantro, salt if needed, and pepper.  Sprinkle over chili.  Bake 20 to 25 minutes till bubbly. 

Yum!  Sure to please everyone and you could even use vegetarian chili for the vegetarians in your family.  I hope you enjoy the outdoors this weekend.  The Cardiology Associates Heart and Sole run and walk is Saturday morning and my husband and I will be walking.  Check back next week for an interesting announcement.    

No comments:

Post a Comment