Blog has moved, searching new blog...

Friday, August 20, 2010

School Has Started But Summer Ain't Over

I find it amusing that we tend to think that summer ends when school begins.  Look at the calendar: we still have plenty of hot summer days left.  The severe heat we've been experiencing has really zapped my appetite and my desire to cook as well.  Still we must eat and I still don't like fast food so what is the cardiologist's family eating these last dog days of summer? 

One thing I find appealing is plenty of fresh fruit served really cold, especially melons.  I love icy cold watermelon with a bit of salt and pepper on it.  Salt and pepper enhances the sweet flavor of melons.  I also love cantalope with cottage cheese and blueberries, with a sprinkle of salt and pepper of course.  Pasta salads, if you avoid all the fatty dressings and use plenty of raw veggies, are another excellent choice.

We are still eating fish as often as possible and I have another recipe to share with you.  This baked salmon dish is packed with nutrition plus turns out beautifully, making you look like Bobby Flay.  Give this recipe a try and you'll be out of the kitchen in no time.  Serve with a side of roasted potatoes or steamed asparagus. 

Baked Salmon with Strawberry Salsa

4 to 6 salmon fillets
1/2 red bell pepper, sliced thin
1 orange, sliced thin
1 pint strawberries, washed and sliced
1/2 cup honey
1/2 cup chopped green onions
1 clove garlic, minced

Place salmon in a baking dish lightly coated with baking spray.  Season to taste with salt and pepper.  Top with orange and pepper slices.  Mix remaining ingredients and spoon over fish.  Cover dish with foil and bake at 350 for 20 to 30 minutes or until fish flakes easily.  I like my salmon to be just a bit undercooked as it retains more moisture that way.  You can discard the orange slices before serving if desired.  This dish is very unique with the fruit and fish combo. 

Next week I will give some lunch box suggestions for back to school lunches.  Have a lovely summer weekend. 

No comments:

Post a Comment