Blog has moved, searching new blog...

Thursday, May 20, 2010

Words of Encouragement

I ran into an old friend the other day who mentioned that she reads my blogs once in awhile.  She also told me that she and another friend had been discussing my blog but agreed it was too hard to do everything I write about here.  I knew then that my next post needed to address this issue:  doing every thing right and making lots of  lifestyle changes instantly.

The point of my blog is to encourage others to adopt healthier habits, eat better and exercise.  It is not about being perfect and doing it right all the time.  I hope you can see from my posts that we don't always get it right, we don't exercise all the time or eat lean meat, whole grains and 5 servings of vegetables every day.  Indeed, my husband the cardiologist, has been off his exercise program for weeks due to a back problem followed by a toothache.  I have been eating way too many sweets lately but my daughter who swims 5 days a week needs to gain weight. 

I hope that by sharing some of my simple recipes I can encourage others to cook more rather than to rely on fast food.  I hope they will eat more fruits and vegetables and teach their children to like them too.  I hope that others will see the benefits of regular exercise and setting a good example for their kids.  But you don't have to do these things over night or even in a month.  Please don't be discouraged or give up.  Make one change at a time, like walking with a friend twice a week or giving up chips.  Try a new recipe once in awhile and involve the kids in cooking.  I didn't start out being a health diva, I evolved into one over time.

All that said, grilling time is here.  I always say that grilling is a man's job and so many do enjoy it.  Clean that grill up and put it to use this weekend.  I'm going to share my all time favorite marinade for chicken and a great way to grill asparagus.  This marinade just gives a great flavor to chicken.   

Chicken Marinating Sauce
1 stick butter
1 1/2 cups white vinegar
3 Tbsp. salt
2 Tbsp. garlic powder
1 Tbsp. black pepper
3 Tbsp. Worcestershire sauce
Microwave butter till melted then mix all ingredients together.  Place your favorite chicken pieces in a sealable bag or large dish and pour marinade over.  Marinate in refrigerator at least 2 to 3 hours, turning occasionally.  Grill as usual. 

Grilled Asparagus
1 bunch asparagus, washed and tough stems trimmed
olive oil
salt and pepper
balsamic vinegar
Place asparagus in a dish, drizzle with olive oil.  Add 1/2 tsp. salt and pepper to taste.  Toss to coat well.  Grill asparagus in a vegetable grilling tray over medium heat about 10 to 12 minutes until lightly brown and fork tender, stirring some.  When asparagus is done, return to dish and drizzle with 1 to 2 Tbsp. balsamic vinegar, toss to coat.  Serve immediately. 

Happy grilling and eating.  Get out and enjoy the fine weather of spring.         

No comments:

Post a Comment