Blog has moved, searching new blog...

Monday, May 24, 2010

More Chillin' and Grillin'

Whenever my husband is around on the weekends, I put him to work with the grill or smoker.  I don't get along with either one and consider those to be a man's job.  Men love cooking outside over a fire so make good use of that knowledge.  Remember that the side dishes and even dessert can be done outside so you girls can be left with little to do except clean up.  Add bartender to the list and you can put your feet up, sip a martini and read a book till dinner's done.

Father's Day is just around the corner and a Big Green Egg could be the best gift ever.  Big Green Egg is a brand of smokers and yes, they are egg shaped and green.  My husband didn't know he wanted one when he got his but now he loves using it.  Barry thinks it is easy to use (I can never get the temp right but why should I?  That's a man's job.).  Everything we put on it tastes just delicious.  I don't know a thing about other brands of smokers but I highly recommend this one.

Just this weekend, Barry smoked extra thick pork chops.  They were seasoned only with Cavender's All Purpose Greek Seasoning.  Pork and Cavender's were made for each other.  If you don't have Cavender's in your cabinet right now, get some fast.

My daughter actually ended up tending the eggplant on the grill for her father.  She announced that she plans to do alot of cooking this summer.  You Go Girl!!  We peeled the eggplant and sliced it in 1 inch thick slices, placed it in a large bowl and drizzed it with olive oil.  A dusting of pepper and salt, a quick toss so every piece was coated and they were off to the grill for about 15 minutes till lightly browned on each side and softened.  Delicious.

Try grilling corn sometime, then butter each ear, give it a drizzle of fresh lime juice and a dusting of chili powder.  Top with some shredded Monteray Jack cheese and serve after the cheese melts.  Summer meals just can't get any better than this - smoked meats and fresh produce. 

Give these recipes a try this Memorial Day weekend.  I'll bet you get rave reviews. 

  

2 comments:

  1. Hi there,
    I just found you through AR and thought I`d stop by. I just bought a new grill for the house as our old one went to our apartment in the city. It is close enough that we can get there in a few hours and has a great big deck that I hope we`ll have time to enjoy this summer. I love to grill but I love it even more when my husband or somebodyelse takes over. I am the `queen bee`in my kitchen so letting my husband think that he has control of the grill is the only way to go!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Since I do all the cooking too, it is nice when Barry grills. Have a happy summer and I hope you stop by again. Lisa

    ReplyDelete