Blog has moved, searching new blog...

Tuesday, December 8, 2009

Confession of the Year

If you have been reading my blog, you know I sometimes confess our weaknesses. We are not perfect in our quest for good health and I wouldn't want you to think we are.
So here it is: we host an annual Christmas cookie party! There, the truth is out. It is quite a decadent affair as everyone is offered a dazzling array of homemade treats, hot cider or the newest addition, mocha punch. No calories are spared, butter and sugar are used freely and any fiber content is accidental. The only exercise we encourage is the lifting of cookies and a good jaw workout.
It sounds as bad as a dentist handing out candy on the playground, doesn't it? However, I'm a big believer in the health benefits of good times spent with friends and family and one of the best gifts you can give is the gift of laughter.
So starting tomorrow, I will be busy as an elf baking cookies. Fortunately, my sister helps as well. I'm not sure what she is making but my line up includes The World's Best Cookies, Chocolate Covered Cherry Cookies, Oreo Truffles and a new one, Praline Cookies. I will also be making mocha punch which we tried last year and it was a big hit. It also couldn't be worse for you as it is basically a milkshake on steroids. I will share this recipe and you can try it if you are having a large get together. Though you'd be tempted, don't drink it all yourself as it will cause a diabetic coma.

Mocha Punch
1 quart chocolate milk
1 quart chocolate ice cream
1 quart coffee ice cream
1 cup strong coffee, chilled
Dash of salt
1 can sweetened condensed milk
Mix all ingredients in a large punch bowl as you would a milkshake. Serve immediately. Makes about 12 or so small servings.

To offset this potential health disaster, I will be exercising and eating light this week. This is one of my strategies when I know I have a "bad" event coming up where I am sure to over indulge. That is also one of my points to this blog: you can indulge once in awhile if you eat right and exercise most of the time. Another small confession: one of my husband's biggest weaknesses is cookies. He can't pass one up unless its store bought.

I hope you are taking the time to enjoy the holiday season and not letting the stress wear you down. Also, take time for your health.

No comments:

Post a Comment