Blog has moved, searching new blog...

Tuesday, March 10, 2009

Something's Fishy at our House

Fishing with my father and the fish fries that followed are among my favorite memories. I can only hope that you have experienced a really good downhome fish fry sometime in your life too.
But fried fish is not healthy, messy and alot of trouble. Save it for a special occasion. Still fish remains one of my favorite things to cook and we eat it at least once a week. Fish is one of the quickest and healthiest options for dinner. I will frequently share my fish recipes including a new one I tried on my family this past weekend. It was a hit. Look around for your own recipes and try different kinds of fish.

Fish with Tomato Jam

4 catfish or tilapia fillets
1 tsp chili powder
Sprinkle fish with chili powder, salt to taste and set aside.
1 pint grape tomatoes
1 lemon
1/2 tsp each of cinnamon, nutmeg and cumin
1/4 cup brown sugar
1/4 cup white sugar
Wash the lemon and slice very thin. Combine lemon, tomatoes, spices and sugars in a microwave safe bowl. Cover and microwave for 10 to 15 minutes, until the tomatoes have cooked down to a mush. Stir and chop up the tomatoes a bit. Keep warm.
Melt 2 TBsp of butter or put 2 TBsp. of olive oil in a large skillet. Cook fish in skillet over medium high heat about 10 minutes or until fish flakes easily, turning once. Remove lemon slices and serve jam over fish and add a green vegetable or salad.

Tilapia is a very mild fish my family really likes but use catfish to support our local farmers. So cast your line and reel in a good dinner!

Next time: What are YOU drinking?

No comments:

Post a Comment