Blog has moved, searching new blog...

Thursday, February 23, 2012

New Recipe Week

It has been a week for trying new recipes at our house so that means I'm sharing with you all.  Last night's dinner was the best yet.  We really liked the combo of flavors and the twist that made this dish a little different.  I liked that it was easy and fast, perfect for school nights.  Anyone could make this, even older children and inept husbands.

I got this recipe from the 2011 Southern Living Christmas Cookbook which I received on my last birthday.  Southern Living is one of my favorite sources for recipes and some of our most beloved dishes have come from the magazine.  I also aspire to live the Southern Living life: beautiful yard, well decorated, organized and clean home, fun parties and great food.  Oh, and wonderful vacations too!  However, I fail miserably on several counts, most notably the yard.  I'd like to challenge the Southern Living experts to tackle my yard and get anything to grow more than three years before succumbing.



Ranch Turkey Ravioli Casserole
1 15 oz. can black beans, drained and rinsed
1 14 oz. can diced tomatoes, drained (I forgot to drain mine, it was fine)
1/2 cup chopped fresh cilantro (I used 1 tsp. dried)
1 tsp. cumin
2 cups (or small cans) green enchilada sauce
2 9 oz.  packages refrigerated cheese ravioli
2 cups chopped cooked chicken or turkey
1/2 cup sliced green onion
1 cup shredded Mexican cheese
Heat oven to 400.  Combine 1st four ingredients in a bowl.  Spread one can of enchilada sauce in a lightly greased 11 x 7 baking dish.  Arrange half the ravioli over the sauce.  Top with half the black bean mixture, 1 cup meat, 1/4 cup onions and 1/2 cup enchilada sauce.  Repeat layers.  Pour remaining sauce over top and sprinkle with cheese.  Bake uncovered for 30 minutes until heated through and lightly browned.

 I served this dish with a side of sautéed spinach which takes about 5 minutes to cook.  This dish is a bit higher in fat than I'd like with all the cheese but I like the fiber from the beans and the vegetables in it.  You could adapt this to a vegetarian dish quite easily; just add extra beans.  I also think the fire roasted tomatoes would add a nice touch.  This is a great recipe to use that leftover chicken or turkey.  So this Sunday, you could roast a large chicken and use the leftover meat to make a fast dinner later in the week when things get hectic.

As I said, even an older child could make this.  Give them kitchen scissors to slice the onions and they don't even have to use a knife.  If they can use a can opener, they're in business.

Note:  I do not mean to imply that all men are helpless in the kitchen, just the ones I know best.

No comments:

Post a Comment