Blog has moved, searching new blog...

Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Can Fast Food Have A Good Idea?

I guess once in awhile everyone can have a good idea so fast food restaurants are no exception.  There have been some improvements to fast food menus such as fruit and milk options on kids meals but not enough for me to recommend eating there regularly.  However, I was watching TV the other night and saw a McDonald's ad that prompted me to imitate their product with great success.

Mickey D's now offers oatmeal with a fruit topping for breakfast.  Now I'm not sure if they are serving instant oatmeal or the old fashioned kind or how much added sugar the fruit topping has but the idea inspired me.  I made oatmeal so good that my son who doesn't care much for oatmeal even said it wasn't bad.  Try this for a healthy start to your day.

Oatmeal with Fruit Topping
2 cups regular old fashioned oats
3 1/2 cups water
1/8 tsp. salt
1/4 cup half and half or heavy cream
1/4 cup packed brown sugar
small apple chopped
1/3 cup chopped walnuts
3/4 cup mixed dried fruit such as cherries, craisins and raisins
1 tsp. cinnamon
1 cup boiling water
Bring water and salt to a boil.  Add oatmeal and cook, stirring frequently till most of the water is absorbed.  Add cream and brown sugar.  Add dried fruit to cup of boiling water and let sit while oatmeal cooks.  Drain and add chopped apple, walnuts and cinnamon.  Spoon topping over oatmeal and serve.

I must also confess that every time I try to do something fancy with my blog, I screw up and I can't always find someone to help me.  That's what happened again with last Thursday's post.  I'll get my son to help me fix it and post it this week.

In the meantime, stock up on supplies.  The geese have been flying over in waves today so that must mean that Thursday the weather will get ugly as predicted.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment