Blog has moved, searching new blog...

Tuesday, November 10, 2009

Food Confessions

Sometimes, even the cardiologist's family makes poor food choices. Sometimes we indulge in too many sweets or fatty foods. This weekend I attended Christmas open houses at local stores. It is one of my favorite events because they all serve delectable treats and have new merchandise out to start the Christmas shopping frenzy. I managed not to eat too many tasty treats while out shopping. BUT THEN, I came home and made manicotti stuffed with about 50 kinds of cheese and sausage. Good but not the healthiest choice. I didn't deny myself a slim piece of buttermilk pie for dessert either, another bad move considering I'd had plenty of treats earlier.

THEN, on Monday I made a really bad lunch choice because I was in a hurry and there was almost no food in the house. I had purchased an individual sized DiGiorno frozen pizza because I couldn't find the South Beach pizza I like. I made the mistake of not reading the nutrition label or I never would have purchased it. I made the further mistake of not reading the nutrition label before I heated it up. Just before I sat down to eat, I thought to look at the label. I was horrified to see that the pizza weighed in at 790 calories, almost half my daily needs. I didn't read any further as there would be no better news. I ate most of the pizza, feeling guilty about my poor food choices over the last two days.
MORAL OF THE STORY: Read labels before you buy and think about what you are putting into your body before you eat.

From Halloween until January 1, beware and be careful! We are in the season of holidays, parties and family get-togethers which all include foods guaranteed to pack on the pounds and clog your arteries. To help avoid gaining weight, make sure you stick to your exercise routine and make healthy food choices MOST of the time. The following recipe is quick, nutritious and rates high on taste. Serve it after Thanksgiving when everyone has eaten too much and is tired of turkey.

Lemon Dill Salmon
4 salmon steaks or fillets
4 medium carrots, sliced diagonally
1 each zucchini and yellow squash, sliced thin (I add at least one more)
1/4 cup butter, melted
1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
2 tsp. dried dill weed
1 tsp. lemon pepper
Preheat oven to 450. Spray a 9 x 13 or larger cooking dish with Pam. Place salmon in dish, arrange carrots around fish. Top with squash. Combine remaining ingredients and pour over fish and vegetables. Cover with a sheet of aluminum foil. Bake 17 to 20 minutes until fish flakes easily.
This dish takes about 10 minutes to prepare so you can be eating in about 30 minutes.