Blog has moved, searching new blog...

Saturday, April 18, 2009

A Little Fiber Eases Things Along

Most Americans don't come anywhere near getting enough fiber in their diet. Take it from someone who knows, not getting enough fiber can have unpleasant consequences. We simply don't eat plain fruits, vegetables and whole grains like we did when our grandparents all had gardens. Lack of fiber shows up as constipation and contributes to various cancers. Makes you want to reach for that stalk of broccoli or eat a can of beans, doesn't it?

I always try to include plenty of fibrous foods in our weekly menu. Yes, my kids do eat cabbage, broccoli, beans and brussel sprouts. They may not rave or ask for second helpings but they understand the importance of eating fresh fruits and vegetables.

I also look for convenience foods that contain extra fiber and I am happy to recommend Fiber One products. They not only taste good but some contain as much as 35% of your daily value of fiber. Fiber One has yogurt, cottage cheese, several cereals, pancake and muffin mix and granola bars. I have tried most of them and my whole family likes them. I particularly like Fiber One granola bars as I consider most granola bars to be no better than candy bars. I can feel good about my kids snacking on them. I also really like the apple cinnamon muffin mix and the pancake mix. Check on bettycrocker.com for coupons for Fiber One products.

In the mean time, try harder to add fruits and vegetables to your daily life and don't rely just on convenience products. Eat an apple or try the broccoli recipe that follows. It's my husband's favorite way to eat broccoli.

Broccoli with Bread Crumbs and Garlic
One package broccoli florets
One garlic clove, minced or one tsp. of the jarred minced garlic.
1/3 to 1/2 cup seasoned bread crumbs
2 tbsp olive oil
salt & pepper to taste
Steam broccoli till tender & drain. Heat olive oil in a skillet & add broccoli. Saute till broccoli begins to brown. Add garlic the last 3 or 4 minutes of cooking & sprinkle with bread crumbs, tossing to coat. Salt & pepper, then serve. Delicious!

No comments:

Post a Comment