Blog has moved, searching new blog...

Tuesday, November 9, 2010

Pumpkin Goodness

First of all, let me apologize for only posting once last week.  I've been very busy practicing for the Wanna Dance competition which is tonight!!  Second, let me welcome new readers and followers.  I hope you enjoy the recipes, health information and fitness tips.  Feel free to post any questions you have and I will do my best to get you an answer.

One of my favorite foods is pumpkin.  Some of you may be moving on at this point while others understand.  Not only is pumpkin so good for you, but you can do so much with pumpkin besides pies.  Yes, I love pumpkin pie too as do my kids.  It's just not Thanksgiving without pumpkin pie.  You may have seen the possum bread I made during my last attempt to make pumpkin bread but my pumpkin bars turned out delightfully as always.  I've also made pumpkin chili and we love pumpkin pancakes on the weekend.  My latest pumpkin recipe is pumpkin smoothies.  Smoothies can be an excellent way to get extra nutrition into the pickiest of eaters or they can be fat and sugar bombs so be careful.  The smoothies served at restaurants are almost always far too large and heavy on the calories so I avoid them.  I make smoothies at home to control what goes in and how large the serving is.

Pumpkin Smoothies
1 banana
16 oz. carton Greek vanilla yogurt
2 Tbsp. peanut butter
1/3 cup canned pumpkin
1 tsp. cinnamon
drizzle of honey
milk to thin as desired
Mix all ingredients in a blender till smooth.  Makes 4 small servings.

These smoothies would make a great breakfast with a bit of granola added.  Be sure to use Greek yogurt as it is higher in protein and lower in sugar.  My whole family liked these and I will make them again soon.

In the meantime, I must go put on my dancing shoes for one last practice.  Remember you can vote online at thewomensdiscoverycenter.org if you can't attend and videos of our performances will be posted after November 30th.

No comments:

Post a Comment