Blog has moved, searching new blog...

Thursday, March 1, 2012

Walk With A Doc

This weekend, take someone you love out and walk with a Doc.  "What's that?", you say.  Walk With A Doc is a new program in the Jonesboro area designed to get people off the couch and moving.  We all know that exercise makes us feel better and even 15 minutes three times a week can have health benefits.  Still there are many people who need help to get started.

I got the idea for Walk With A Doc after reading The 17 Day Diet by Dr. Mike Moreno who started a similar program.  My husband agreed that it was an excellent idea so he collaborated with Christina Ryan of HMG to get a local program started.  The plan is that once a month, there is a scheduled walk for anyone to join led by at least one local physician.  The program is aimed at those who don't exercise currently to encourage them to get started.  At the first Walk last month, my husband gave a short talk about the benefits of exercise and a nurse checked blood pressures.  One of my husband's patients came out  and bravely walked.  I walked most of the way with him as he struggled due to his shortness of breath.  We were all so proud of him.

Anyone can join the walk, young, old, fit or not so fit.  Bring the family out to exercise before getting some shopping done.  If you know of someone who could use some motivation in starting an exercise routine, pick them up and bring them out.  Last time a father and his teen aged son joined us.  They had planned to do some shopping but stopped to see what we were doing.  After the walk, the father who was huffing and puffing, said he really needed to keep this up as he was out of shape.  I'm hoping he did.

My husband will again lead the walk which will be at the Mall at Turtle Creek.  It starts at 9 a.m. this Saturday, March 3, in the food court.  You will also have the opportunity to ask questions of my husband as you walk.  As the weather improves, the walk will move outdoors and doctors from other groups will join us.  This will be a great opportunity to visit with these doctors about health concerns and questions you may have.  I will keep my readers informed about the date, time and location of each walk.

I won't be able to attend this month's session as I will be attending a Bar Mitzvah and I don't think it would be appropriate to show up all sweaty.  I'll be sorry to miss it though.   I also apologize for the blurry photo from our first walk.  I didn't adjust the camera properly.  Look for the black t-shirts with Just Walk on the front and HMG on the back.  

No comments:

Post a Comment