Blog has moved, searching new blog...

Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Experimenting

I always try things before I recommend them and if possible, before I condemn them.  I recently wrote about the top 7 diet plans as ranked by Consumer Reports and commented that I knew very little about Slim Fast.  So I decided to give it a whirl and see if I lose any weight in the next two weeks while drinking those shakes.

As I said before, the plan seems aimed at people who want to lose a little weight, perhaps for a special occasion.  I couldn't find a promised amount of weight lost anywhere on the website but an article on Web MD about Slim Fast did mention 2 lbs. a week.  The plan requires you to eat the bars or drink the shakes twice a day in place of two meals.  You are also supposed to eat three healthy snacks every day such as fruit, vegetables, nuts or a Slim Fast bar.  Your last meal of the day should be 500 calories and consist of a lean protein, plenty of vegetables and a whole grain starch.  Of course you are supposed to exercise 30 minutes a day and drink lots of water.

Right away I found several things I approve of: the diet promotes exercise, eating fruits and vegetables and drinking water.  The shake took seconds to mix with 8 oz. of fat free milk (another plus, dairy is so good for you) and the chocolate tasted good.  (I get a chocolate fix.  Not sure if that is good or bad.)  I generally do exercise more than 30 minutes a day so that is easy but the drinking water part is difficult for me.  I'll have to work on that.  I also eat a variety of fruits and vegetables but keeping dinner to 500 calories will be hard.

I recorded my starting weight today at 131.6 so we will see where I am next Tuesday.  By the way, that weight was taken on home scales.  I usually weigh about 5 more pounds at the doctor's office.  I really don't like those scales so I weigh at home.

The canister of shake powder cost under $6 today at Kroger because it was on sale.  I didn't get any bars yet and to be honest, they don't appeal to me.  However, I'm trying to do this right so I will get some later today.  I got broccoli, squash, apples, bananas, and Brussels sprouts to eat for the next couple of days.  Tonight's dinner might not fall under 500 calories but the next two nights look better.  I'll load my plate with veggies each night just like the plan tells you to.

If you are interested in Slim Fast, be sure to check back next Tuesday for some results.  Also, don't forget that I write for the Jonesboro Occasions online magazine at jonesboro.com under blogroll.  

No comments:

Post a Comment